Thursday, August 19, 2010

I saw the most amazing film last night called "3 idiots". It's a Bollywood film about 3 men who attend an engineering college in India. It details how their amazing friendship helps them to navigate the competitive environment of one of India's top engineering schools. The movie celebrates, friendship, loyalty and honor. If it's not my favorite movie of all time, it sure rates up there in the top 5. Definitely a movie that every teacher and student should watch.

We had the opportunity to spend the weekend in Mumbai and had a wonderful time. We were able to attend church on Sunday.  It was awesome to sing the hymns of Zion here in India with other Latter Day Saints.
Isn't this the cutest guy, Elizabeth always
finds the best kids at church

At least since moving here Tim and Liz
get along much better.


This is the entrance to the Mumbai branch, rather intimidating don't you think?
At least the guard is at any rate! but it felt like entering the temple I was so
glad to be at church!
We met some of the nicest members of the church. The speakers were so inspiring, and the teacher in Relief Society was so humble and sweet.  Her lesson went straight to my heart.

Enjoying Lunch with our new friends in Mumbai, Liz and Tim
loved the Italian food served at the Italian Kitchen, and I must admit
it was a wonderful break from Indian cuisine.

Our new friends Laurie and Darylann.  What a great blessing
it was to meet them.  They spent the day with us, showing us
what we can buy in India that we miss from the USA.





“We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the ‘thick of thin things.’ In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes.”

This quote arrived in my e-mail this morning and I love it.  I hate wasting time on things that in the end really don't matter. When I reflect on my life, I find that I value the time I spent with my children and family.  I am also very grateful for the time that I spent learning skills. When I was a new member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I came across a quote by Brigham Young, which was roughly, "There will come a time when if the Saints can't produce it themselves they won't have it" This struck me at the time because the saints were already living in the Salt Lake Valley so one would think they were already living that time! Anyway, I began my quest to learn to produce the things that I felt would be valuable to my family's survival. Sewing clothes, knitting, cooking, cleaning became priorities that have really blessed me since moving to India, because in many ways, if I can't produce it myself I don't have it here.

On that note I'd like to share two projects that I have been working on since coming to india.  The first is a lace doily that I found on the vintage crochet website which I found though http://www.ravelry.com/ . I went on to join Celtwich's yahoo group for vintage crochet and have found it to be wonderful for finding great things to do with myself.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021105100931/www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/PinkPineapple.html

Pink Pineapple Doily by American Thread Company

Once that was completed I looked to my stash of sock yarn that I brought with me for my next project.  I found a great pattern again on Ravelry.com for monkey socks. They are designed by Cookie A.  So far I am enjoying the pattern very much.
Monkey socks knit with fortissima socka yarn
The free pattern is found here:   http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html
While waiting for pictures to upload I was able to begin turning the heel so hopefully it won't be long before I am showing you a completed sock!

Have a great day everyone!


No comments: