Thursday, December 30, 2010


I found this recipe on line after searching for a recipe that only made one loaf.  Since I mix the bread by hand, one loaf is easier to make, plus it tastes great right out of the oven.  I made some changes to the recipe adapted it to ingredients I have on hand! I haven't been able to find sour cream here in India but I can purchase the richest fresh cream, so thick and heavy like sour cream, so that's what I use and the bread tastes wonderful. I also like to add vital wheat gluten and potato starch ( either powdered or I save the water from boiling potatoes, both work very well.  The flour available here seems to have a lower protein than what I am use to so these are the adjustments I have made.  We will be having the bread tonight with Bruschetta, I can't wait! 


Yummy Bread Recipe
2/3 cups cold water
½ cup boiling water
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
1 tablespoon potato starch (optional)
2 Tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
½ cup sour cream (I use heavy cream instead)
2 teaspoons instant yeast
4 ½ cups flour

Stir in waters, salt and sugar in a bowl, add sour cream then yeast, vital gluten, and potato starch.  Stir in flour.  Let dough rest ten minutes, Knead dough, let rest 10 minutes (repeat 2 more times)
Cover and let rise 1 hour. Bake @ 375 degrees 

As an added idea, we took a small piece of the dough, rolled it, coated it lightly with mustard, place a piece of gouda cheese in the center, wrapped it up and baked it until the bread was golden.  It was a delicious taste treat!

No comments: