Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Here in India there is a limited supply of food items, I managed to get a hold of some ground sirloin (no hamburger here) and I made a meatloaf yesterday. I thought I would share the recipe because it was so simple:
3/4 c Applesauce
1- 1 1/2 pounds of Ground beef
1/4 catsup
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1 Package of onion soup mix 
1 egg
1 cup oatmeal
combine well, bake in a loaf pan at 350 degrees for an hour and there you have it.

Now since I couldn't buy applesauce I made my own:
6 large apples
1 cup of water
1/2 c sugar
1 t lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
Place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, turn down to simmer about 20 minutes until tender, remove cinnamon stick and then mash with a potato masher.  It tasted great and couldn't be easier.

1 comment:

Sarah Familia said...

Hi MJ,

I "met" you on the LDS homeschool yahoo group. What a fun blog! Living in India sounds like a great adventure. We live in Italy, and I love creatively modifying my recipes so they will work with the ingredients I can find here. In fact, the other day I blogged about How to Eat in a Foreign Country Without Going Crazy. http://casteluzzo.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-eat-in-foreign-country-without.html